Simply Using PPP tools to make decisions

Good morning!

Its time to check in with you all.

Ozzie and I are fine. Oh yes and Spunky too. Spunky just survived his first real rain while living outside at our house. The coyotes were busy this morning too, it rained pretty steadily all night. We needed the rain in this area, with wild-fires not too many miles away and the very very dry weather conditions.

I've made significant progress on this vintage trailer.

 A couple years back, I made the decision (and how do I do that, making decisions - I use priorities keep reading please) to have a home base on my property so I could come and go from this location. The decision was based on both weather protection on site and because I get emotionally and phyically worn out traveling the world, meeting new people and being available to others during events that I have enjoyed attending and volunteering at. Events like the RTR (RubberTramp Rondevous) and Jamie Diamond's VanBuildOut Party. I also have been holding annual GTG's (GetTogethers) in both the spring and fall. I also have typically spent a lot of energy and approximately 1/10th of my annual income helping others. In Costa Rica I helped both to raise and support 2 young boys most of one year, when their mother who was addicted to alcohol couldn't manage her life well. When another woman, who was following Bob Wells and living in a tiny car asked for assistance, I helped as well. Following RTR I have made it a habit to hold a 'newbies camp' in Ehrenberg, where I basically hold peoples hands and encourage them to think and step outside their preverbial boxes. I give them written or verbal directions for finding the campsite, because people are becoming to dependant on GPS. I encourage them to select an appropriate campsite and discuss their choices with them. We meet for a couple hours each morning to discuss as a group their fears, their successes, camp edequitte and to share ways to make a camping life - because living in a car or rv is not a vacation, it's a life! I tell this group early on that while we are together I am available to them 24 hours a day for these 5 days only. They are expected, I tell them outright, to become independant between 3 and 5 days and to leave the group and go on their way at any time during those 3-5 days. When they leave, they have my phone number and can use it day or night until day 5. Then they have to be independant enough to use other resources and the larger community for support or when scared, etc.

As you may well imagine, I'm fairly tired after these events.

My daily life is pretty calm and quiet, with a lot of built in alone time. I need alone time, in nature to quiet my mind and process the activity and interactions with others.

I'm getting better at taking care of myself. I am a natural giver so occasionally I get taken advantage of - you know in my niceness (grin). Over the years of my lifetime, I've kind of developed a little mean streak when others grate on my nerves or don't give me the private time and space I need. I even tell some people, but some people don't understand that need. I also, have developed a habit of standing my ground or continuing to talk when interupped about 3 tries, then I simply give up. I may walk away - even if I am the speaker at an event. Yup, not so pretty but well, effective. I have learned, over my lifetime, that people are going to do or believe whatever they want. No amount of talking will convince them otherwise. And at times they will hurt you pretty badly if you don't convert to their belief - whether it is true or not. So I've had the habit of trying only 3 times, then letting it and the person go - I figure God will take care of the rest. If I am wrong, I will learn that as God shows me, and accept it and make changes to my thinking or actions when appropriate. Everything else is in God's hands. Go, have a good life, believe your truth, if you need a change God will help - it's not my job.

I have used a process in my life called my Personal Project Plan to stay healthy, make decisions and to direct my path. In my plan I work with these areas
 1. General Lifestyle Focus
 2. Community
 3. Healthy Living
 4. Physical Activity
 5. Finances

Over time the specifics of these 5 areas have taken different forms. For example, as a child I recall getting the 'message' as it were to Travel Light and Often through my life and I would be a more happy person. As a sideline, I also got the "Simply, Lesa" which I thought was going to be a clothing design label! My number one General Lifestyle Focus has been Travel Light and Often but in one incarnation of that, I simply took weekend train rides from New York City to the beaches at Coney Island. Another chapter in life was finding budget flights and taking advantage of them to go anywhere on $100 a month! And yet another was to take on hiking the Appalachian Trail.

My Community has changed from my birth family and siblings, to the people I worked with, to an ex-husband and his family, to struggling to keep a relationship with my 2 children, or the people in a homeless shelter with me, or a DV shelter, or to the people in a hostel when traveling ... you get the idea. Community has been nearly as much struggle for me as the idea of Home has been. I have more connection with my neighbors in Witch Well and in the Nomadic communuity than I ever have before. I still work to maintain relationships because, like for many, they are very difficult for me. Sometimes, I think I am better off alone - but that's not healthy so I keep working things out.

Healthy Living - I need to provide myself (and Ozzy and Spunky) with a physically safe home, both while traveling and when at my property. It's important to be safe from the elements. That can be in my car or with appropriate clothing and shelter when hiking, or as in the case of my property a 'home' - because of my income and immediate need. I chose to buy an inexpensive vintage travel trailer and work to make it livable. I need to make this trailer work for 3-5 years so that I can save enough money to replace and upgrade it.   Healthy Living also includes my dietary choices. I need to give my body the best possible foods so that my digestion (hereditary) and my activity and my weight (hereditary) and my mental health (hereditary) can function at its best and most healthiest. Over the years, I've tried many diets, well nearly forced into some - Biblical, Atkins - I was in 6th grade, Adel Davis ... in 2005 after becoming disabled I found the Raw Vegan diet, I lost 175#s in 16 months and became very mentally strong and focused.

I was mostly happy. And then, as often happens when we are happy - my worlds started falling apart due to many changes beyond my control. I let go of all the diet concerns and just focused on surviving. I wanted to go HOME - but I had no one, no friends, no home town, no church family, my father had died and I was informed that I was no longer a family member and in fact I was dead to them.           

 I tried connecting with my adult children to be met with more negativity. With no one and no where to go - but with a healthy body and all my worldly possesions in a backpack I figured I could just long distance hike. My legs worked, I knew how to take care of myself outside. While writing this, I've come to think I've been in survival mode since that time - until now.

Physical Activity - well, darn - like a lot of other people, this comes and goes. I rode a bicycle a LOT as a kid - and as a young adult too - so much that I bought a Motobecane and planned a trip from Maine to Virginia and on to Californica - nope never did it. An unexpected life curve ball in the form of someone stealing all but the frame of my very expensive bike stopped me dead in my tracks. I've danced 3 nites a week at the lounge of a local hotel with girlfriends (well I thought they were friends - till one stole my live in boyfriend - darn). I went to the gym in my apartment building in Richmond, VA everyday for a year, that was fun. In NYC I would go to yoga classes or walk the treadmill while reading books for the 2ce a month book club. And then long distance hiking on the AT - I was hiking a lot in Costa Rica - one volunteer project we had to hike up hill an hour through a coffee plantation to get from the bus stop to the remote farm.

I regularly walked 5 miles to visit friends - it's what you did. And I liked it.  And at other times - when I'm not so healthy - I can't get out of bed. Walking 3 steps is agony - I don't understand why. So I really need to keep activity as a priority so I can stay mentally healthy and accomplish other goals (bcecause I often feel like a failure)

Finance - I've been on a path toward becoming debt free. The first time I was debt free, I simply paid off everything I owed anyone with my first, retroactive disability check. I didn't learn new financial habits but it was a very wonderful and freeing time in my life. I lived that way a number of years until my VanDwelling lifestyle began in 2012. The people in the US helping me to buy a van (I was in Nicaragua at the time) managed to use all of my hard earned $4000 to buy me a $600 or 900, I never learned the real cost. And I had to practically escape from being locked in their garage to begin my new VanDwelling lifestyle financially broke!


I get a monthly income for my disabilty an it is based on my previous income minus a few years of unemployement. I have been living on $250 a month (my check is around $850) for the past 4 years as I pay off debt incurred while traveling with the van as well as buying property and setting up a home base. I'm nearly finished. And I've made good progress on getting the trailer liveable.

I am anxious to finish some projects in the next few weeks.

So what's my point?
I'm sharing that I've revisited whats truely important to me and where I want to be in a few years. Who I want to be as well - because without a goal...how will I (or perhaps you) ever get there?
I'm not finished with this - so I may change my mind a little
though, generally speaking -
I need to travel more! I need to maintain my SUV so I can go when it's time. I also need to prepare and maintain my camping and hiking equipment so I can long-distance hike when I am ready.
I need to stay focused on the reasons my minimalism works for me. (and not let people distract me from it) Its my FREEDOM!
I have already changed my diet to a Plant Based diet - I'm good at the unprocessed, whole foods - make it from scratch. I may return to a nearly Raw Vegan diet.
I need to complete the renovation of this trailer Home - a few repairs, a better bathroom situation, a few shelves in a cabinet and paint. Then keep it in good repair while I live, give and save for its replacement.
I need to get physically active - and I've begun. though even here sometimes it takes baby steps (or turtle steps which are smaller) to form a habit!
I need to stay focused on my goal of debt free and continuing to save an EMF (emergency fund)! Every Sunday morning it's my day to look over my finances and be sure I'm on track. I'm so close, with only $1400 to go!

This is where I am today!
Simply,
Lesa

PS please leave comments about what you would like to read here on my blog or to see on my YouTube channel.

And please, be nice, you don't have to like me or my life but this is my Blog and Videos I get to decide what and how I say things. You can always make a different choice and not visit with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stranded with bad engine! July 28 2023

Keep it Simple - huh?