Why Did I Choose Vandwelling?

Many times I am asked why I chose to live in my van.  The truth is, I have wanted to travel and have adventures since I was very young listening to my older sister read books to me.  We would often go to the local library which was a short bike ride away to pick out books.  She read all the Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn books to me - we even plotted a runaway complete with bandanas tied to a pole when I was around 5 years old. 

I am a traveler.  A nomad.  An artist.  I am social.  I love to meet people.  To learn as much as I can about other cultures is also something I learned when young.  My parents brought home lost people to stay off and on.  Koko was a Japanese girl who didn't speak English when she arrived at our house and spent the better part of a year or more.  Radd was a German history buff and we endured the jokes and comments at school when he was seen wearing German military clothing and driving a VW Thing painted in historic German military style...

When I got out on my own, after highschool, I began to meet interesting artsy people.  I had my share of glitchy starts and bumps in the road along the way.  I learned who to not trust probably better than who to trust - and I kept moving on. One situation lead me to leaving Maine, where I grew up and I moved to Virginia.  It wasn't quite the plan I had envisioned for my life, I kinda thought I'd meet a guy who would love me and want to ride bicycles across the US.  The powers that be had other plans and ... I moved here and there, maybe 28-30 times over my many years spent in Virginia.  The next big move was when I lost my job and ran out of unemployment.  I figured that I had pretty much out stayed my welcome in Virginia.  While searching for what to do next, it occured to me to start a "before I die" list - now they call them Bucket Lists...my first item on the list was to live in New York City... so that's where I went.  After a couple years, I moved back to the state of Maine, although to a town I didn't know.  I had a nervous breakdown, which is where and when I became disabled.  I moved around a bit more until I re-settled in a section 8 apartment back in NYC.  Feeling relatively safe in my new apartment, I worked on more of my Bucket List crossing things off one by one, including short trips by bus or train.  I used to spend many great days at Coney Island walking the beach.  Then an opportunity arrose for me to go to Costa Rica - and I did, and returned and stayed. 

Around the time that my father passed away, I returned to the US thinking I would help family out and perhaps re-establish myself in the states.  Things didn't go well and I returned to Costa Rica to regroup.  I came back the following spring to hike on the Appalacian Trail. That seemed like a good idea and similar to my dream of bike riding from my youth.  I walked, alone, for three months.  I didn't finish a through hike that year - perhaps I will be able to finish it as section hikes in the future.  The events that came after led me again back to Costa Rica and a return to my thought process of where am I going and what am I going to do?  I saved some money and decided that since having a home has seemed so elusive, perhaps if I got a 'small' home, I could take it with me when I decided it was time to move on...I've lived in a tent, a hammock on the trail, a ranchito with a thached roof , a 68Chevy van, a Shasta travel trailer, apartments, rental houses.... and this time I didn't want to give my energies and time and effort to someone else....so I looked up some info I'd found years ago. And found the title Vandwelling...ha they gave it a name.     

Vandwelling gives me the opportunity to have a home of sorts that is more mobile than a larger RV.  It's protected more than a tent by the material it is made out of.  A van is also accepted in the more mainstream and urban areas.  With my van being a low topped passenger van in its former life, I am able to stealth park in many areas where even other vans might be questioned. 
I bought the now Vantucket (think Nantucket Island off Cape Cod)... and thats how it all happened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stranded with bad engine! July 28 2023

Keep it Simple - huh?