Bucket List Baja!

I was in junior highschool in the early '70s. I guess I was developing ideas about who I wanted to be as an adult. I kept seeing explorers and Adventures on expeditions in Baja California Mexico and especially I remember watching the Baja 1000 races. I thought that was the coolest I wanted a Jeep I wanted to have that kind of adventure and I imagined driving on a sandy beach in Baja. Now I also was looking at a lot of surfing information in magazines and probably on TV. I don't know whether it was all escape fantasies because I was feeling rather an outsider and unwanted in my home life. And the small rural town where I was raised had limited opportunities. I also dreamed of living in New York City well the New York City Life has already happened for me I was able to cross that off my bucket list in the 90s and early 2000s.


It's almost unbelievable and incredible when i get the opportunity to actually do one of these drempt about activities. Today for example - I am physically camped on a beach in Baja Mexico! 

I'm traveling with good trusted friends. The trip, truly is an expedition.  We have taken on the name of The Good Vibe Tribe. There are 6 well equipped overland vehicles 7 people and one young dog! 


Today started very early in the morning for me personally because I was trying to clean up my Google account and photos to have more storage space for taking videos and photos. I thought I had done a good job between 4 am and 7 am when the others were beginning to move around in our overnight camp, this camp was in Yuma Arizona. Then I led the group - er expedition as we crossed the border into Mexico at Algadones. Vehicles were inspected and Visas purchased at the immigration office and we regrouped to continue. Vincent of the Way Out Box team took the lead and we proceeded to travel over some rather rough roads with many speed bumps. Then came the abrupt ending of pavement and immediate washboard dirt road....I travel in my 1998 Chevy Tracker and at was this abrupt change that I began to seriously wonder if I had made a major mistake coming on the trip. We were all traveling along at a good speed and when I hit that dirt road portion I nearly lost control of my vehicle! When I recovered enough to check my mirrors for other vehicles again I was shocked to see Jason and Melinda's of @m.j.k.adventures massive Ford rig trying to stop only a few inches from my driver's side bumper! Talk about scary. I did my best to keep up with the others but needed to drive pretty slowly. It was a number of challenging bumpy miles rattling everything bolt in the Tracker!  With each bumper, each turn in the road, each sketchy bridge or passing a farm tractor was physical work as well as emotionally loaded with concern. We eventually stopped for a bathroom break and that is when Jason approached me to discuss what had happened. I listened to him as he suggested driving skills and then wondered about lowering the air pressure in my tires. I have camped with Jason before and I trust him and his judgement, so I gave him all the information about tire pressure testing I had been through before and we looked at tire pressure suggested for stock tires that is on the door sticker. Then we lowered the pressure and started out again. All I can say is WOW! What an incredible change in the handling of my Tracker! I've had this rig a little over a year and this is the best driving experience so far! It's easier to maneuver, less bumpy and less shaky! What a blessing! and now my speedometer is acting up...but hey I'll simply travel in the middle of the group and keep speed with them! 


Hours later, in San Felipe, we stopped at a grocery, gassed up, used ATMs and headed out to explore campsites! I have traveled alone a lot and being part of an expedition is a different experience. I like it a lot. I like traveling with people who like to be outdoors as much as I do. Who enjoy avoiding highways and...lol finding free camping. I'm grateful for Vincent having an extra walkie radio for me to use, for Candi, @chicksdoittoo, doing pre-trip planning. And I probably will keep talking about how much I love and appreciate Jason & Melinda with their skill and extra equipment as well as their encouragement! 

My next 'surprise' of the day came as we found our campsite. A nice sandy dirt road. I did fine and enjoyed the drive maneuvering well with the new tire pressure...then, Candi announced on the walkie that I better stop and get into 4x4 -- we would stop and walk an area before driving - ahem - on the beach!!!! Yup wide eyed, tired and excited and scared because I knew how to lock the hubs, mine are manual, although I never had shifted the transfer case. Jason came up to help and showed me - you know, so I could hear and see - then gave me driving in sand pointers! 

I let the others choose the campsite while I calmed my nerves and remembered that if I get stuck I have my recovery boards, I am with others who will help and if need be - lol - 4 big guys could simply pick my rig up at move it! Candi and Sheila, mamas...wheels, parked first, then my turn - talking to myself to remember to keep a steady pace! and I did it, I didn't drive far, but I dit it!


Then Jason got stuck - and the two Way Out Box trucks chose not to go too far. Now earlier when Jason slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting me, he dislodged a brake caliper. So after digging himself out of being stuck in the sand, he set about fixing his brakes....and having Jack stands shift in the sand.  He worked hard and I imagine is sleeping just as hard tonight. 

I was so tired that I was going for a walk, then tried to walk Jason & Melinda's dog Kalshan. Kalshan is a puppy, but she's strong and a bit stubborn...she exhausted me, so I returned to camp ate early and came to bed. I didn't even visit at dinner time with the group. I woke up about 1130pm to check out the videos I have taken the last couple days....but either Google swallowed them or something... and I thought I saved them on the internal SD card in my phone but now there's a notification that the SD card is corrupted - I just don't want to fight anything.  So I wrote y'all a blog post! 

I'm going back to sleep now, in the morning I will add some pictures, if I can, and post this. ( Way Out Camper team has Starlink!! Yeah cause I don't have phone service)

Keep living simply! (So you can travel light and often)
Lesa


PS come on over to YouTube.com/Simply Lesa and see some videos!

@m.j.k.adventures
@wayoutbox.com
@mammas... wheels
@chicksdoit2!
@simplylesa.com


Comments

  1. Sending y'all love & well wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 generations 🙏🤳😎❣️ woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We are so glad you are here & part of the GVTribe ♥ It's been incredible for everyone, dreams coming true. Kulshan & I thank you for the love & walkies so very much. Onwards to more adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stranded with bad engine! July 28 2023

Keep it Simple - huh?